Curiosity & Joy

about teaching about writing about poetry

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Substitute's Report - December 5

Substitute's Report for Kevin Hehir

December 5, 2007

Hi X,

The day went well and your notes were helpful. You've got some great classes and I had a good day. Attendance was taken and submitted for all your classes. Here's a rundown:

World History

The class settled down and got done the quiz pretty a quickly so I was able to start the DVD before 9:30. I believe that we stopped at around the 34 minute mark. Uneventful and the quizzes are clipped together and will be the first bundle after this note. What was impressive was how quiet the students were when they were done. I always expect the last few writers to be finishing amid hubub but that wasn't the case. You can tell them that.

Prep

French

This class went off well too. I administered the freshly copied quiz and the class worked quietly on it. It seemed that the phrase acceuille-t-il caused some problems so you might want to review it. No problems here and the class was engaged while doing the worksheets. Nice bunch.

History

I had a good time teaching part of this group Macbeth for X last week so They were comfortable with me right away. They told me that they were on slide #109 and not #107 so we finished the unit from there. For review we just had an open jam session where I directed the students along the time-line of the Revolution and made some connections for them. I thought it would be a better way to harness their obvious verbal energy. Using their 'chattiness' for good not evil. This is a really bright group and I enjoyed teaching them once again.

Canadian History

This class was a bit harder to control. Since they weren't going to listen to the video I told them that they would have to sign and hand in their worksheets. Of course then I had to stop the keen from giving their completed sheets to the talkative. Anyway, we watched the first 20 minutes of the video twice as you asked me. I also just want to say that I had to have a little talk with X but after that he was best kind, however X's attitude threw me off and if it wasn't the last class of day I might have made more of an issue.

All in all a great day. As I mentioned above, you have some really good classes. I should also mention that even though my teachable areas are English and Tech I am very comfortable teaching History. My undergraduate degree is in Comparative Lit and Culture which is the history of ideas from Plato to NATO. I also have done straight History courses on Totalitarianism, 20 th C History and American History (with a tilt towards the antebellum era). I also have an interdisciplinary Masters Degree in the Humanities where I took two History courses at the graduate level.

Thanks again, if you have any questions about my work with your students you can contact me at the coordinates below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger